“No such thing as a life that’s better than yours.” – J. Cole
There’s no one in the world who could replace you. There are more than seven billion people on earth and we all have a unique story to tell. These unique stories are based on our life journey, which makes each individual extraordinary. Out of billions of people, no one can tell your story better than you. Only you can!
Although this may sound amazing, many people find it difficult to stop comparing themselves to others.
Usually when we compare ourselves to others, we focus on what we want, but don’t have.
We set our target on individuals who we deem as successful. What we wish to accomplish in our lifetime help shape our ideas of success.
Admiring people is not a problem. Some people in our lives are great motivators. They inspire us to exercise more, practice our social skills, hit the books harder, follow our dreams, and so on and so forth.
When we become obsessed with their achievements, we begin to lose focus on our own spiritual growth.
Keeping up with the Joneses is not satisfying. Competition is a continuous cycle of uncertainty and confusion. If you choose to compete with others for the rest of your life, you will always worry about what they are going to do next. You will second-guess yourself constantly and you may never learn how to control your emotions.
It takes time and determination to own your happiness.
Below are 5 effective tips on how to overcome a competitive spirit:
1. Focus on yourself- Cultivate a winning spirit by connecting with your purpose. Embrace your flaws and all. Learn self-worth. Focus on your likes and dislikes. Define your identity. Create a plan to make it to the top. Understand that you are intelligent and capable of doing anything you set your mind to. Whatever you do, focus on the next steps you need to take in order to achieve your wildest dream.
2. Gain new skills- Every day is an opportunity to embrace new skills. Find the time to invest in yourself and your future. Start building your dynasty today and try your best to avoid the procrastination bug.
3. Rediscover your hidden treasures- Dust off that saxophone you had hiding in the attic for years and share your talent with the world. Find your book of rhymes and gain confidence at a poetry slam. Overall, rediscover what makes you special and don’t be afraid to hone your talents. Your gift will make a way for you.
4. Understand that you can create your own happiness- You are totally in control of your own life. What is truly meant for you can’t be taken away from you. Don’t waste your time sabotaging your life by focusing on someone else’s happiness.
5. Nobody has it all- We all struggle with something. Some of us are constantly trying to improve ourselves. Struggle is necessary. It makes us stronger. Challenges force us to recreate ourselves. Never feel like you have to constantly compare yourself with other women. It’s fine to value her personality and other qualities. One thing you must realize is that her life is not better than yours and vice versa.
Is it hard for you to stop competing with others? Please share your thoughts in the comment section below. I would love to hear from you!